Just to state the truth according to the Holy Bible concerning COVID-19 and new Delta Variant
Introduction: I received quit a few phone calls questioning about the new delta variant and the current status we live in. There were some who were confused about things they heard from different sources. I promised to write an answer about those things on the church web site and facebook.
Written By: Very Rev. Fr. Tadros El-Bakhoumi
- 1. God is the giver of life and He created us all (Genesis 2:7) “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being”. He is the One Who ordered death upon mankind because of disobeying His commandment. (Genesis 2:16-17). “ And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die”.
God is the One Who orders the human to be in the world and ordered the spirit to come out of the body to die (Psalm 104:24-30). “O LORD, how manifold are Your works! In wisdom You have made them all. The earth is full of Your possessions This great and wide sea, in which are innumerable teeming things, Living things both small and great. There the ships sail about; There is that Leviathan Which You have made to play there. These all wait for You, That You may give them their food in due season. What You give them they gather in; You open Your hand, they are filled with good. You hide Your face, they are troubled; You take away their breath, they die and return to their dust You send forth Your Spirit, they are created; And You renew the face of the earth”.
- 2. God is the Creator, and He is everything in our life. He can do anything for us but He gave us brains to use to protect ourselves and to never expose ourselves to destruction. He gave us an example for this when the devil came to tempt our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ to throw Himself from the top of the pinnacle of the sanctuary, claiming that the angels will carry Him as written in (Psalm 91). The Lord answered him saying “it is also written do not test the Lord your God” (Matthew 4:5-7). “Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the sanctuary 6and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: ” He shall give His angels charge over you, and, ” In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.’” 7Jesus said to him, “It is written again, “You shall not tempt the LORD your God.’”
- 3. God is He Who created our brains by breathing His Spirit in us and this makes the great difference between our brains and the brains of the animal. This great gift from God gives us the ability to think, research, upgrade, understand and make different decisions. This is the great difference between the human and the animal; the animal moves by its instinct, but the human uses his/her brains to think and find what is the best to do in his/her life.
This great brains the Lord granted to us is what made and upgraded all the things we use in life like technology, buildings, cars, aeroplanes etc… accordingly, God He is the One Who inspired the human with the medical understanding for the body to treat the sickness of the body and also to do all the medicines to heal as much as possible the sickness of the human body; and as we all know that all those medicines and different vaccines are from the plants and herbs that God created as He is source of everything in our life. In the Holy Bible it says, “because from Him, through Him and to Him are all things in our life.” (Romans 11:36)
- God ordered us as humans to work (Genesis 2:15) “Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it”. So that we don’t be lazy or do nothing. It is not right to do nothing and say, “God will help us “as He Himself said, “he who does not work does not deserve to eat”(2Thess 3:8-10) …”nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us. For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat”.
God always encourages us to do all what we can do and what we cannot do He completes it for us. For example, at the tomb of Lazarus when our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ arose Lazarus from the dead after 4 days and he became a stench, He ordered the people to move the stone away from the tomb. No doubt our Lord can order the stone to move but He is telling us humans to do what we can do and what we cannot do (arsing Lazarus) He does (John 11:38-40 &43-44).
According to this, seeing the doctors and using the medications and vaccines is not a sin or against the faith, it is a must biblically that we do all what we can to protect ourselves and keep safe and what is beyond our ability the Lord will do and protect.
- God ordered us in the Holy Bible to obey the government (Romans 13:1—4) “Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities
that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will
have praise from them. For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, and avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil”.
(Titus 3:1). “Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities”.
Accordingly when the Government announced the lockdown and requested all to stay home to protect from the transmission of the very contagious corona virus in its new move (Delta variant) , this is not controlling our freedom for us humans or as some people call it “enslaving us” but it is care and protection for us ( 1Peter 2:13-17). 13Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake, whether to the king as supreme, 14or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good. 15For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men– 16as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God. 17Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king. This new variant of COVID-19 is very quickly transmissible and contagious. That is why we have to be very cautious and make sure to take precautions to not mix much that the virus does not spread quickly and cause death of people with thousands as happened in other countries. Even for us humans in normal life when we hear about someone who is sick, we avoid any physical contact with that person so that we ourselves not be sick like him/her and that is simply what the government is doing out of care for the citizens to protect them from being hit with the virus.
In my homeland Egypt when this virus started last year; Egypt which is well known for its strong Christian faith with the existence of monasteries, monks and nuns and it is the land that our Lord Jesus Christ visited and the history witnessed that all the top theologians came from Egypt. When the virus started, the Government ordered closing all the churches and mosques for a while until the virus settled and all the people obeyed and did what they were told. Also we as true believers who obey the Holy Bible ought to obey the government and apply what we are told to do because it is to protect us and keep us safe.
Firstly I call on everyone in Australia from all different religions and faiths that we lift up our hands and pray that the Lord lift the pandemic away from us and the whole world so that life comes back to its normal and secondly we thank the Government for all their efforts in protecting us and keeping us safe.
We pray for the prime minister, the premiere of NSW and for the premieres in all states that the Lord our God supports them and guides them for the best for the sake of all Australians.
God be with you all.
Very Rev. Fr. Tadros El-Bakhoumi
Coptic Orthodox Church – Diocese of Sydney
St. Mary, St. Bakhomios and St. Shenouda Church-Kirrawee